Search Search


NIH Biotechnology Pre-doctoral Training Program Participation

  • Students who have successfully completed their first year of graduate work with a focus on micro/nanomedicine at Caltech may be nominated to participate in the Biotechnology Leadership Program, regardless of their graduate option or mentor's affiliation.
    • If formally appointed as a trainee, the student and mentor must commit to fully participating in the program. This includes completion of required courses and a mandatory industry internship.
    • Trainees and their mentors are expected to actively participate in the BLP during their appointment, and continue to participate in select activities after graduation from the program.
  • Students who are (or have been) supported by another T32 at Caltech (e.g. the NIH Cell and Molecular Biology Training Program, T32GM007616 or "Sternberg" grant) are not eligible for appointment to the BLP. 

  • Nominees are expected to have completed at least one rotation project before appointment to the BLP. SURF and other summer projects completed in Caltech labs may be considered at the discretion of the BLP Director.
  • The BLP will periodically host seminars and events that may be attended by any member of the Caltech community.


  • Select students may receive partial tuition and stipend support from the program, initially for 12 months with the option to extend to a total of 24 months, dependent upon satisfactory progress and availability of funds. 
  • To be eligible for funding, trainees must be enrolled full-time at Caltech and the trainee’s major advisor must be one of the BLP faculty mentors (see Participating Faculty page).
  • Funding for traineeships is made possible by an NIH Training Grant (T32GM112592) and funds from the Rosen Bioengineering Center.
  • Per NIH, trainees must be US citizens, non-citizen nationals, or permanent residents of the US.
    • Noncitizen nationals are persons born in American Samoa, certain former citizens of the formerTrust Territory of the Pacific Islands, and certain children of noncitizen nationals born abroad. More information on U.S. noncitizen nationals can be found at the Department of State Certificates of Non-Citizen Nationality.