Applying to the Biotechnology Training Program
Nominations to the Biotechnology Leadership Pre-doctoral Training Program will be solicited in early summer. Appointments are expected to begin in August.
The Steering Committee meets in July to review nominations and recommend new trainee appointments. The program aims to have a trainee cohort with a diversity of personal and academic backgrounds.
Students from underrepresented minority groups, women and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Evaluation Criteria include:
- Academic excellence
- Relevance of student’s research to NIH training grant goals
- Strong interest in the BLP's focus on industrial activities, career development, entrepreneurship
- Clear commitment to future research in nano/micro medicine
- Ability to interact productively with others
- Potential for collaborative research & industry interactions
- Preference will be given to nominees who have completed at least one laboratory rotation project (or who provide a written commitment to do so)
The nomination package should be compiled into a single PDF labeled with the student’s name, submission date and faculty mentor name (Smith_063015_Arnold). The PDF must contain the following:
- Signed Nomination Letter from the Faculty Mentor
- On Department letterhead, the mentor should provide an evaluation of the student’s aptitude for the program, an indication of the kind of industrial biotechnology experience the student may pursue during their graduate work, and a commitment from the mentor to participate in BLP activities.
- Student’s 250-word “Personal Statement” describing their interest in the program and expected impact on their future career
- Student’s resume/CV
- Nominee GPA and GRE Form (completed and signed by student)
- Nominee Information Form (completed and signed by student)
- Lab Rotation Information Form (completed and signed by student; signed by proposed rotation faculty mentor and faculty mentor if applicable)
- Internship Commitment Form (signed by student and mentor)
- Equal Opportunity Query Form (completed and signed by student)
Mentors (or a designated administrator) must submit the nomination package (as a single PDF) to: BLP.firstname.lastname@example.org
*If email link fails to open, please type or copy/paste address into your email program of choice.